Wednesday, April 30, 2008

My first 6 guitars...

Decided to keep track of my gear buyin' habits by posting my gear on this blog...

My 1st guitar was a Squire Strat pak bought for Sing$499 from sweelee sims drive back when i was 18 & knew nothing 'bout guitars 'cept that i wanted to learn to play 'em! (looks like the one pictured below but mine was in sunburst)


i had it for only 6months, as i discovered i couldn't get the really heavy sound i was lookin' for as the strat had a triple single-coil config....so i got myself my 2nd guitar an Ibanez RG550 used for 650bucks..it came equipped with PINK Dimarzio Paf Pro/Tonezone pickups, an SKB hardcase & Shredmaster Paul Gilbert's signature below the knobs! (looks like the one pictured below but with pink Dimarzios)


Paul Gilbert used to drop by singapore quite often to conduct guitar clinics so theres quite a few guitars floating around the 2nd-hand market with his sig.

I was quite satisfied with the RG550, it had all that i wanted; humbucker pickups, ultra-thin neck, comfy body & jumbo frets...i believe i had it for around 3-4 years before lettin' it go...

My 3rd guitar was my first acoustic, a cheap Cort Earth 100, i got it Primaryly to fiddle around with, as i didn't have an amplifier after selling off my Squire Pak & i had to wait a couple months for my Tech21 Trademark10 to arrive (on order from sinamex)


I couldn't bond with the Cort the action was too high (didn't help that i had been playing my RG550 which had really low action), i sold off the Cort days after my amplifier arrived....

The 4th was a Pignose PGG100 travel guitar, i was in national slavery then so i gotti.. tinkin' i could improve my skills, since there wasn't much to do at nights in camp...but as i played it more and more in camp, i realised that my playin' was sufferin' when i had to play an actual size guitar, as the Pignose was off considerably smaller size the scale was too different & my fingers had problems adjusting to full-sized electric after playin' it so much...eventually sold it off to a camp-mate at a rather low price....


My 5th guitar was yet another Squire, this time a korean Squire strat, i really did not have plans to get it....but bought it anyway as it was only goin' for $110! it wasn't setup properly action was high, some frets were taller, neck was slightly bow-ed...so i set it up properly, filed the tall frets & sold it off shortly for a small profit ;P



My 6th guitar was my first & only 7-stringer an Ibanez RG7621, (i was in my KoRn, Dream Theater phase) sounded pretty decent...but was under utilised....think i let it go after 1-year..

(the actual guitar i used to own)

No comments: